Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Better safe than sorry

Day 6, Sat. July 21, 2018
Red Apple Motel, Tonasket WA. → Osoyoos Lk. Veterans Memorial Park, Oroville WA.
Stats:
Dist, 30.69 km, 16.9 km/hr, Time, 1:48, 732 cal, 109 bpm

Crazy short day.
As I headed for the US - Can. border, I was wondering what my destination would be. I knew that I would have an impossible time in Osoyoos BC because of its popularity especially on a Saturday. If I continued on along Hwy 3, I was worried about road closures due to forest fires in the area as well as not knowing a safe place to stop. As I was mulling these things over in my cranium, I past a sign reading "Veterans Memorial Park Camping". I took a look and after a painfully long break, I found myself at one of the "Walk in sites". I felt stupid in stopping so early, but I think that it was the right call.
    I got set up next door to a noisy family. They annoyed me at first, but after the kids got bored with screaming and zooming around, they turned out to be a great help to their parents in meal planning and clean up. No, I wasn't spying on them. Highwaycat was studying them for her "Mexican Relations" course. Ya, that's it.
   The nice thing was the supplies including beer was a short ride away. Also, I nabbed the last bundle of firewood.
Sweet!

Like an airport runway
Roadkill
Destination
Hazy sun from forest fires (camera doesn't capture the cool factor)

The set up
The neighbourhood
The Osoyoos Lake Veterans
A Kokanee Beer advertisement
The elusive South Okanagan Sand Cat
Shirley hauls fire and ice (Ice not pictured here) (no fire either but sounded better than saying "Firewood")
Sketch for Day 6
South Okanagan Sand Cat by day is also Fire Cat by night. Crazy beast!

No comments:

Post a Comment