Saturday, September 15, 2018

Hot and Bothered

DAY 2, Tuesday July 17, 2018
Sedro-Woolley WA. Three Rivers Inn - Newhalem Campground

Stats:
Cat Eye:  Dist: 90km, Avg.19.6k/mhr, Max 50.1km/hr
Polar:      Time. 4:35, Cal. 2987, Avg hr, 127

    The conditions were great again. Flat roads and even a tail wind here and there. Of coarse the sun was out in full force again (92 F) which was a good pairing with my headache. Slow motion was the agenda until I hit the town "Concrete" where lunch break was the next task. (I had a Subway sandwich from Sedro-Wolley)
    There was an "old timer" pushing a running chariot on the side of the road. As I passed him slowly, I had frightened a small dog that was napping in said carriage. It went into a barking frenzy which in turn scared the crap outta Old Timer Farley Mckracken. In his wrinkled, shirtless body, "Farley" shrieked and flailed his limbs in all directions like the overly theatrical acting of William Shatner in Star Trek. Maybe a fight scene with a bunch of aliens. I felt bad but couldn't hold back a sinister smile and some chuckling. Highwaycat broke a claw in the hilariousness of it all.
    Rolling along for a while later, the heat was getting to me. Seemingly out of nowhere, I happened upon an oasis of sorts. A small, new looking pit stop offering ice cream, ciders and other stuff jam packed with humans. I wasn't sure what else was there as I was fixated on the fridge full of water bottles. I dialled up 6 cold ones and B-lined it to one of the several picnic tables. (the one furthest from the car people) Relieved to sit in the shade with my cold water, I stared blankly out into the bright green field. This tranquil moment didn't last long. A young couple with a baby invaded my table and began blabbing. Despite having my back to them, the guy kept talking to me. My jersey gave away the fact that I was Canadian which perhaps was a bullseye of sorts. I tried to be half receptive, but was really annoyed forcing a quick inhalation of 3 bottles and an exit stage left. I stowed the rest and hit the road. HWC wanted to chit chat but Shirley and I wanted outta there!
    Once in Newhalem, it was time to secure my campsite. There was a bit of searching but I eventually found my walk in site. It was a rustic clearing in the forest near the Skagit River. I was happy to see that each site had a bear proof food cache. There were a couple other campers, but were out of sight and sound. I went back into "town" (a couple bldgs including a general store). Got some beer and a few other things. Was able to secure free firewood and had a nice fire that night.
    This turned out to be an awesome stay! Tomorrow's gonna be a tough one, so I better hydrate with lots of American beer, ha ha.

Part of the fun
Skagit River. Huge awesome shoulder here
Me
Sketch of Farley Mckrackin
They really like concrete here
Hot and bothered
Nice sign. Spot the cat if you dare!
Hey. Ya, I have a sign fettish
Yay

Great site
Discussing tomorrow's ride. There was a lot of "Ok master, I'll do that"
"So many damn rules. Meowww!"

Beer. Forward slash. Cat.

Free firewood cut by knife and catitude




No comments:

Post a Comment