Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Not so "Rainny Pass"

DAY 3, Wed, July 18, 2018
Newhalem Camp - Winthrop Inn, Winthrop WA.

Stats:
Cat Eye:  Dist, 120 km, Avg spd, 16km/hr, Max spd, 61km/hr, Climbing 2200 Metres
Polar:      Time, 7:47 (Total w/breaks, 9 hrs. UGGG!) Cal, 4793, Hr, 125 bpm.

    I guess that I was worried about today's ride because despite ingesting copious beers last night,  I was up and about at 5:30. (Oh yeah, American beer, right, ha ha) For breakfast I had some oatmeal and coffee and was rolling by 7 am. I always take my time in the packing up process, unless a thunderstorm or a grizzly bear materializes.
    I was feeling much better than the last 2 days which was perfect timing considering I had over 100 km of no services and 2 mountain passes on yet another hot as hell day. Rolling through the Ross Lake gorge area was interesting. There were twists, turns, climbing, descending with little shoulder and turbulent winds. As soon as I left that area, the climbing began.
    I met 2 other riders along the way. First, there was Danny (I think). He was a super skinny dude riding a Bianchi and pulling a tidy load on a "Bob Trailer" He also had rear panniers which would make his load pretty heavy. He was dressed in light clothing from head to toe. I understand that blocking the suns radiation is healthy, but, it was frigging hot! Anyway, he said that he had over 6 weeks vacation which allowed him the time to ride to Mexico. His goal for the day was a campsite near Washington Pass. "Lone Fir" I think. The other rider I saw a bit later was decked out with a set of Ortleib Panniers all around, he was a poster boy for "Bicycle Touring R Us" I was stocking up on water at a rushing creek when he slowly rode by at about 100 metres away. He hit his bell "Ding, Ding" to get my attention. "You OK?" he said. "Ya, I'm good, how 'bout you?" I replied. "I'll make it!" he said. (Referring to all the climbing that awaited us).
   Once I had replenished my water bottles, it was time to climb. At a GVW, of 265lbs and over 5000ft of climbing, this Fat Bastard was ready for "Granny Gear" engagement. In preparation,  I was hauling about 4 litres of water. The ride up to "Rainy Pass" was crappy but wasn't anything new to me, but when I started to descend, I was like , "Noooo!!! Losing altitude was depressing as I knew that I had a bigger climb 6.5 km ahead. Rainy Pass is 4875 ft / 1486 m. and Washington Pass is 5477 ft / 1669 m. Climbing Wa. Pass was terrible. I ended up stopping several times, sometimes to refill bottles, sometimes for a break. In the recent past I have routinely made big climbs and much longer days without stopping. This is my first time giving in to the beast. Its sad, but a wake up call.
    The descent off Wa. Pass was crazy. I was nervous from crosswinds and pavement irregularities since there were no barriers to keep me and team HWC from going over the edge to our demise. I used Shirley's binders on the turns which is why our max speed was low at 61km/hr. Near the bottom I passed a woman heading up the hill. (it's steeper at this point than my more gradual climb at the other end) It was around 2pm, she would have a brutal climb ahead, I guess she would hit "Lone Fir" camp.
    Anyway, once I got off the mountain and was approaching the old town of Winthrop I was happy, but tired. The climbing followed by the turbulent descent and the intense heat of the desert like landscape was taking it's toll.
    It was awesome to roll into Winthrop. The town is sort of split in two by the Methow River. When arriving from the west, the town has a very old west style to it. The buildings and shops look to be maintained in order to hold their early 1900s charm. Also, the sidewalks are wooden. This is the touristy portion of the town. I found the "Winthrop Inn" on the other side of the river. Unfortunately, Shirley had to stay in the "workshop"  I wasn't happy about that. HWC was furious. Shirley said that she would be fine. What a trooper! The room was OK but I found the usual moronic Christian Bible along with 2 other Christ books. I was gonna call front desk to request a Satanic Bible but decided to get beer and pizza instead.
    Time to relax as my tough day was done. Tour De France on the box also! Woo Hoo!

Leaving Newhalem Camp, ready for battle! 

Ross Lake Gorge. 1st of 2 tunnels

No problemo. Other one was sketchy and dark which is why I have no pic. 

Ross LK.


Proof of Sasquatch
Diablo LK.

North Cascade Mountains N of Diablo LK

"Danny" (I think) was heading to Mexico

Stayed for a pick, then moved on. Got bigger fish to fry
CRAZY Drop-off here., long way down! Surprised there is no barrier. I guess that's why a cross is installed there. Maybe the Government needs 2 crosses before a barrier can be installed, or 22?
Climb up to Washington Pass. Water break. It was very hot. We were not having fun.

Bin on longer climbs before, but this one was crappy. Old and decrepit I guess.

Going down?!! ARRGGHH!! This was nerve racking as hell. Wind gusts and sketchy turns...(of course, I cant take pics on sketchy areas because I'm kinda busy.) HWC refuses to use my camera. Says that it is Satan!
Down into the Okanagan furnace. Little ways to go. May as well have been a million miles. We were hot and tired.
Finally!!


View from my room at the Winthrop Inn


Sketch of shop behind motel

No comments:

Post a Comment